Interpersonal Dynamics, taught by Carole Robin, Ph.D. is designed to help individuals develop deeper self-awareness and more effective communication skills in their personal and professional relationships. Through a series of interactive exercises and discussions, students will learn to recognize and navigate complex interpersonal dynamics, including power dynamics, conflict, and group processes. The course emphasizes the importance of empathy, active listening, and constructive feedback, and provides students with practical tools and techniques for building strong and healthy relationships.
Course taught by expert instructors
Carole Robin, PhD.
Co-founder of Leaders in Tech, Former Faculty Director and award-winning instructor at Stanford University
Carole Robin, Ph.D. is a recognized leader in the field of leadership development, with over two decades of experience teaching and coaching executives. She was the Dorothy J. King Lecturer in Leadership, Director of the Arbuckle Leadership Fellows Program, and award-winning teacher at Stanford University’s Dynamics (aka “Touchy Feely”) course. In 2017, she co-founded Leaders In Tech, a nonprofit that brings GSB lessons to Silicon Valley startup founders. Carole is also the co-author of Connect: Building Exceptional Relationships with Family, Friends and Colleagues, based on the "Touchy Feely" course. Carole's extensive experience and expertise make her a valuable resource for those seeking to develop their leadership skills and build exceptional relationships.
Learn and apply skills with real-world projects.
Whether you are a leader looking to improve your relationships with and among team members or an individual seeking to enhance your personal relationships, this course will provide valuable insights and strategies for creating positive and meaningful connections with others.
Be ready to step outside your comfort zone in service of your own and others’ learning
Be ready to actively participate, share, and be willing to experiment with being more known
Openness to giving and receiving feedback
Ability to commit to confidentiality
Try these prep courses first
You’ll come to class with your learning goals, then you will…
- Why interpersonal connection matters
- The Johari Window framework
- The importance of disclosure in creating stronger, more robust relationships
- Experiment with disclosure
- Understand the choices you make and how they impact your ability to connect
- Make more conscious efforts around disclosure in service of building relationships
You will enter this week with a difficult scenario of a person to whom you would like to give feedback on. Then you will…
- Pinches (broken contracts) and how to address them
- What holds you back from expressing pinches
- How to give and receive feedback more productively
- Challenge your mental models around feedback
- Apply the model you have learned in real time
- Practice giving and receiving feedback
You will update your learning goals based on what you have learned about yourself thus far, then you will…
- How to influence when you have no authority
- Listening and inquiry
- The Law of Reciprocity
- The Theory of Exchange
- How to manage power differentials
- How to connect across differences
- Practice understanding what is important to others through listening and inquiry
- Review power differentials and the theory of exchange through a case study
- Reflect on your interpersonal strengths and areas you want to deepen further
In the final session, you will put together all your previous learnings and will…
- The Iceberg Model of Behavior
- Your inner critic: how it impacts you, and how to manage it
- Strategies for coaching and meeting others emotionally
- Analyze the mental models that are driving your choices
- Build further on disclosure, listening & inquiry skills
- Arm yourself with new choices based on what you’ve learned in this class
Work on projects that bring your learning to life.
Made to be directly applicable in your work.
Live access to experts
Sessions and Q&As with our expert instructors, along with real-world projects.
Network & community
Core reviews a study groups. Share experiences and learn alongside a global network of professionals.
Support & accountability
We have a system in place to make sure you complete the course, and to help nudge you along the way.
Get reimbursed by your company
More than half of learners get their Courses and Memberships reimbursed by their company.
Hundreds of companies have dedicated L&D and education budgets that have covered the costs.